Thursday, April 15, 2010

Please I am sick of being told everything about football


I was sniffing through anything that had “library” close to its meaning, in search of an appropriate term to describe what I felt so clearly but lacked the words to express it. We have all been there, lost for words or at times just between our lips but unable to say it, as the brain fails in its elementary function. Then I remembered the Microsoft Bing search advert on television. The word I wanted was “information overload” and I needed it sadly to describe a feeling related to football, described by many as the beautiful game. I felt ugly.
In modern football, we are hit with so much info that a day’s data reel is easily comparable to what you normally get in weeks, a few years ago. Add this to the hell of data in your environment; work and at home and it is quit muddled, even worse to decipher what was said yesterday from today. Football predictions have suffered gladly. I often feel sapped and skeletal nowadays when I try to make predictions based on what I can skim from the media.  In two issues though, I hope I can say it the way I feel.
The first is the race for the English Premier league. It is true that Chelsea is on the driving seat, but in real terms it is much more than that. They could be crowned champions on the 25th after a win over Stoke City and with two games to spare. That might come as a shock. This weekend, Manchester United face their bitter rivals Manchester City in a game they can lose in the absence of Wayne Rooney's decisiveness, while Arsenal travel to Wigan, a task that could go any way, with a raising injury list. If both games go disastrously for the top teams and Chelsea beat Tottenham, the title will be Blue at the Bridge when Stoke come to London. Why is this near certainty not being highlighted? It probably is, but info overload has battered my cognitive verve. 
You have guessed the second. This summer's transfer window is poised to be dominated by Cesc Fabregas . He is surely bound for Barcelona, but denials dominate the headlines. Xavi and Messi's blood DNA comments imply a surety that is way beyond mere fantasy. It infers access to a concrete fact, maybe overhead discussions to which the public is grandly blinded. Christaino Ronaldo's move to Real Madrid had a similar taste with cross border accusations and denials. In the end the £80 million price wiped our memory clean as a transfer rumour endeared by dismissed rhetoric turned out to be so real.
If you are sick about being told about everything, leave a note.  

No comments:

Post a Comment